Cervical screening only takes a few minutes:1
1. You’ll have a private space to undress from the waist down, usually behind a curtain. If you are wearing a dress or loose clothing, you can leave on and just take off your underwear.
2. You’ll be asked to lie down on an examination bed and given a paper sheet to cover the lower half of your body. You can either lie on your back or on your left side.
3. A speculum, usually a cylinder with a round end, is gently inserted into your vagina. This might feel a little uncomfortable, but it shouldn’t be painful; if it is tell the person taking the test.
4. Once inside your vagina, the speculum will be slowly opened so your cervix can be seen.
5. A sample of cells will be taken from your cervix using a small, soft brush. This may feel a bit strange, but should not be painful.
6. The brush and speculum will be removed from your vagina, you’ll be given a private space to get dressed again, and the next steps about receiving your results will be explained to you.
IN COLLABORATION WITH